Monday, March 28, 2011

Kiteboarding Magazine





O Editor da kiteboarding mag, Aaron Sales, me enviou um questionario de onde tirou algumas passagens para a revista. Abaixo vai a entrevista completa que nao foi publicada.

Spell your full name: Tiago Lemgruber Candelot, I'm from Brazil but there's around 4 years I live on Maui.

Is this your first time riding Jaws?

My first wave at Peahi I got paddling-in at 01/10/08. I started to tow there on 08.09 winter but was on these winter I were there more often, paddling-in and towing-in. And kite at Peahi was always a dream. I tryed one time before but I had some problems with the lines trying to launch the kite from the ski on the channel, and I never got the kite up that time. But the last attempt was different.

How were the condition on this day?

Wind? Wave size?

There was about 18 knots of east gusty winds, a little bit offshore. and about 10, 12 hawaiian feet with some bigger sets. Realy hard to kite because the wind take you out of the wave. We were waiting for this condition a long time, probably a little more north influence on that east wind would be better but that first of february was a good day. I was flying a 8.

How did you get there? Launch from boat or rider from Ho’okippa


We got there with a jetski. We put the lines together at maliko gulch, where we launch the ski. All the gear were attached on the sled. We were three on the ski. Me , Marcilio Browne and Fernando Canuso. Marcilio also known as 'Brawzinho' was the first out, on his windsurf. I had an important help from Fernando. After pump the kite on the lifesled, he holded it and I jumped in the water and started undo the lines. Finely i got the kite up and Fernando trowed me the board.

Please describe the session. Was anyone else out there kiting or windsurfing?


First couple waves I was trying to get in the shoulder, but the off shore wind was pushing me out. So I realized I would need to come deeper and catch the wave from the peak. By that time my foot straps opened and we didnt have any screw driver on the ski, and we were the only ones out. When I saw a ski coming I thought: " those guys gone save my session". Who were on the ski? Robby Naish and Miki Schweiger. Robby tide up my footstras and gave me the board back. One of my idols doing that, now I need to do it! I came back sharing the line-up with three of the best windsurfers in the world: Brawzinho, Robby and Miki. And finaly one of my dreams came true. Surf a wave with a kite at Peahi. The wave is realy bumpy so a heavyer board is realy important, I was ridding a Kazuma board around 10 pounds. But I wish i had my Timpone tow-board 18 pounds. After some waves I switched positions with Fernando. He got his waves too when I was doing the safety on the channel. At the end of our session, Kai Leny came on the ski with his dad. He put his windsurf gear toghether and jumped on for some waves, beeing watched closely from his father. Fernando did a downwind to out side maliko, where me and Brawzinho rescued him up and headed in the gulch to land the ski. Mission accomplished.

Did you ever think you were going to crash and was dropping in on that wave faster than most waves?

Crash is something that you never think at that moment but we need to be prepared and think in all possibilities before to minimize the risk. I were wearing a life vest. From the tow-in experience we learn that we need flotation on that wave. And also Fernando was doing the safety on the channel with the jetski. Beside this two factors always remember a important thing in any water sports: "If you are not able to swim in, don't go out!". So all kind of training are important to feel confident and be relaxed in the most critical situation.

2 comments:

  1. Que isso que moral e Jelly, alem da foto animal na revista, ainda te o comentario do Erik Aeder te elogiando...
    Parabens!!!!

    ReplyDelete